Despite drastic improvements in dental technology, hundreds of people suffer from tooth loss every day — mostly due to gum disease, tooth decay, or injury. For several years, the only treatment available for those with missing teeth was removable dentures or bridges. But, today, dental implants are stealing the show.
What are implants?
In the world of dentistry, implants are replacement roots that offer a sturdy base for permanent and non-permanent teeth that are created to match your natural teeth.
Why choose implants over other alternatives?
There are numerous reasons why choosing dental implants is a good idea, such as:
1. Enhanced appearance. Implants tend to feel and look exactly like your natural teeth. And since they have the ability to fuse with the jaw bone, they are almost permanent.
2. Enhanced speech. Dental implants help you in maintaining a clear speech, unlike dentures that have a tendency to slip right out of your mouth, inhibiting clear speech.
3. Better comfort. Since implants easily become a part of you, they eliminate the uneasiness of removable dentures.
4. Easier eating. Slipping dentures can make eating difficult. However, implants tend to function like your natural teeth, helping you eat everything without pain.
5. A boost to the self-esteem. Dental implants can improve the look of your smile and can make you feel good about yourself.
6. Better oral health. Implants can be fixed without altering other teeth in any way. Hence, all of your teeth are left undamaged.
7. Durability. If you take proper care, implants can last for a lifetime.
8. Convenience. Since dental implants are permanent they eliminate the embarrassing problem of removing dentures and the need for using adhesives to keep the denture in place.
Success rates of implants may vary, depending on where the implant needs to be placed and the skill and experience of the dentist placing it. Hence, it is important to choose a clinic wisely. Since it’s a costly and serious procedure, make sure you have researched well about the dentist you select.