For those of you who are confused between the best methods to substitute a compromised tooth, the choice is very clear. A recent study shortlisted two of the most popular treatment options –dental implants and root canals. Although both fare practically the same on success and survival rates, there are differences.
A dental implant procedure requires tooth extraction followed by a couple of surgeries to fix a metal post within the jaw bone and attach a crown to the post. Surgeries can take up three or more visits to finish and are expensive in comparison to other methods. In root canal treatment, the main cause of tooth ache – inflamed pulp – is taken out and the tooth’s insides are then sanitized, filled and sealed. Root canals can normally be completed in a single visit and turn out to be lot cheaper than dental implants.
Since the roots and the nerves within the tooth are removed, they render the tooth weak, and susceptible to fracture. Therefore, in a root canal an onlay or a crown is made to cover the tooth. An onlay or a crown prevents the tooth with a root canal to break. The longevity of the crown or the onlay is based on how much of the tooth is left. So if a root canaled tooth had a big cavity that traveled under the gum line, there is a big possibility of the artificial onlay or crown to fall out or fail prematurely.
Hence, as per experts, if a tooth has a good chance to be restored, by all means it is best to undergo a root canal treatment. If not, undergoing dental implant treatment makes more sense for long term benefits. The prosthetic is worth every penny as it is bound to last for the rest of your life, especially if done by a skilled dentist in Baltimore.
When it comes to tooth replacement, dental implants are one of the most popular choices. They provide cosmetic dentistry patients with a permanent solution for replacing broken or missing teeth. However, to keep your mouth healthy and to make sure the treatment lasts for a long time, you need to take special care of your artificial teeth. Here is the right process to keep these prosthetics in good shape:
Right after undergoing the procedure, factors such as good oral hygiene will help improve the success rate of your dental implant and help you avoid infections. Peri-implantitis is a common bacterial infection that can lead to implant failure. Apart from this, avoid eating hard foods for a week after surgery. You must also avoid smoking as much as you possibly can.
Cleaning the implants:
Dental implants require the same kind of attention as your natural teeth. Brush two times a day, morning and night.
- Use a toothbrush with an angled handle to clean effectively around the entire implant. Also, move the brush in subtle small circles along the back, top and front of the implant.
- It is advised to brush for two to three minutes.
- Once done, take twelve inches of dental floss and maneuver the floss around the implant. Use the thread to hug the side of the prosthetic and take it all the way to the gum line.
Irrespective of the style, dental implants have to be checked every six months. This is done to make sure the prosthetic is functioning as it should. The dentist will analyze the tooth and search for any damage and make sure the post is firmly attached to the jaw bone, is properly fitted, and whether the nearby teeth are in good health. There are several dental implant clinics but we are different from them because we offer personal care to the patients.
Some of the patients may also be asked to get X-rays. Although implants have been designed to last for a very long time but they can experience corrosion like any other artificial prosthetic.
Dental implants have gained immense popularity over the past few years due to their high success rate (about 90-95 percent) and their resemblance to human teeth. However, it is extremely important to get these prosthetics from an experienced and reputed Baltimore Dental Care. Moreover, to make sure your implants last for a long time, make sure you follow strict guidelines as offered by your dentist.
Our smile is the first thing people notice about us, and can play a very important role in our professional and personal life. There is no denying that people with pearly whites are more likely to impress employers and attract partners. However, to get that million dollar look, it is important to use the services of an experienced dentist in Baltimore.
There are several things that can help you determine the experience and expertise of a dentist, such as,
1. Certification or accreditation: a good dentist will always have proper certification and accreditation from known academies.
2. Availability: all good dental clinics adapt to the needs of their clients by offering weekend and emergency services. If you are a working professional, it is important to choose a flexible clinic.
3. Professionalism: to determine the standards of a clinic, it is important to observe the general appearance of the office, staff, and the dentist. Is everything clean, neat and orderly? Remember, good dental clinics abide by strict guidelines for sterilization and disinfection.
4. Results: one of the best ways to measure the skill and experience of a dentist is to see the before and after results of previous patients. By looking at real pictures you can judge how talented the Arabic dentist or a dentist in general really is.
5. Knowledge of the latest procedures: Cosmetic dentistry is evolving every day, and new procedures, techniques and technology are continually emerging. Find out if the dentist is at par with the latest cosmetic technologies to ensure he/she can offer you the best treatment.
Cosmetic dentistry is one of the most sought after and popular techniques that does not just help us look attractive but also enhances our self-esteem. However, most dentistry procedures are complex and require experienced and skilled hands. Make sure you choose the right dentist by keeping the aforementioned points in mind.